Vietnamese Chicken Salad
Venture from your everyday chicken salad with a Vietnamese-style chicken salad with a fresh, homemade salad dressing.
- 1 tbsp unsalted roasted peanuts
- 1⁄2 garlic clove
- 1⁄4 tsp brown sugar
- 1⁄4 tsp rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 11⁄4 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 11⁄4 tbsp fresh mint
- 1⁄2 medium tomato
- 1 large carrot
- 1⁄4 head cabbage, shredded
- 6 oz chicken breast
- 11⁄4 tbsp fresh basil
- 1 slice whole wheat bread
- 1 tsp butter
- 8 whole strawberries
- 3⁄4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp unsalted roasted peanuts
- Julienne carrot and cut tomato into 4 quarter slices. Chop mint, cilantro, and basil. Mince garlic.
- Crush or chop peanuts into small pieces. Slice strawberries.
- Cook chicken and cut into bite-sized chunks.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, and herbs. Set aside.
- For the dressing, whisk lime juice, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and garlic until sugar is dissolved. Toss over salad. Sprinkle crushed peanuts on top. Serve immediately with Greek yogurt topped with sliced strawberries, and bread with butter on the side.
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon peanuts = approximately 12 whole peanuts
Equal measures of dried mint, cilantro and basil can be used to save time if desired.
Yogurt with strawberries can be saved for after dinner treat.
How to julienne a carrot:
Cut ends off the carrot and peel. Cut the carrot into about 1-2 inch sections. Slice lengthwise one side of the carrot. Place cut side of carrot down so it doesn’t roll when cutting and then cut into thin slices lengthwise.