Black Bean Soup with Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
This flavorful Black Bean Soup with Grilled Chicken Salad adds new zest to traditional black beans. Enjoy with a refreshing salad as a delicious and healthy treat for lunch!
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
1 tsp olive oil
3 tbsps medium onion, chopped
1/4 large carrot, chopped
1 garlic clove, diced
1/3 tsp cumin
1/4 jalapeño pepper, minced
3/4 cup black beans, cooked
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup reduced sodium broth / stock – chicken
2 tsps fresh cilantro, chopped
1 green onion, chopped
1 whole chicken breast
1 cup romaine lettuce
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp vinegar
1 1/2 tbsps reduced fat feta cheese
1. Prepare onion, carrot, garlic, tomato and jalapeño.
2. Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté until vegetables begin to soften – about 6 minutes. Add cumin and 1/4 tsp jalapeño and stir. Add beans, tomatoes and stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until carrots are tender – about 15 minutes.
3. While the soup is cooking, chop the condiments: cilantro and green onions.
4. Transfer half of the soup to a blender and puree until smooth and add back to the pot. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes.
5. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and more jalapeño if desired. Top with cilantro, green onions and feta.
6. Serve soup with a salad of free vegetables and grilled chicken. Dress with 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp vinegar.
Completely cholesterol-free, black beans are also a great source of fiber, potassium, folate, and vitamin B6, making recipes like this an ideal source of protein that supports heart health. Check out some other nutrient-rich soup recipes with black beans on the Curves Nourish Blog, like our Beef, Black Bean and Tomato Soup, Black Bean Tortilla Soup, and Black Bean Nacho Pizza!