Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwich & Thyme Sweet Potatoes
This grilled chicken breast sandwich includes all the toppings alongside herbed sweet potato fries!
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 4 oz chicken breast
- 1 slice Monterey Jack cheese
- 1⁄2 oz romaine lettuce
- 4 dill pickle slices
- 2 tsp whole grain mustard
- Finely sliced red onion
- 1 tomato slice
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium sweet potato (~6 oz)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 whole garlic clove
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 4 strawberries
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Peel and cut sweet potato into 1½-inch pieces. Mince garlic clove.
- Combine sweet potato, olive oil, minced garlic clove, thyme, salt, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl and toss until well coated.
- Arrange potato slices in single layer on baking sheet or in 13×9-inch baking dish. Place on top rack of oven and roast until tender and slightly browned, about 40 minutes.
- Once sweet potatoes have cooked for about 30 mins, sauté/grill chicken breast in a pan sprayed with cooking spray. Cover and cook to 165 degrees internal temp, flipping half way through.
- Top chicken breast with slice of cheese just before removing from heat.
- Spread mustard on bread, if desired. Assemble a sandwich with bread, chicken breast, lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles. Serve with strawberries and roasted sweet potatoes on the side.
Monterey Jack cheese can be substituted with a slice of low-fat cheddar or mozzarella with calories of 75 or less and fat grams of 6 or less, if desired. Try with other free foods like red bell peppers or sprouts for variety.