White Chicken Chili
A warm white chicken chili is a perfect homecooked meal with plenty of protein and spice!
- 1/3 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 jalapeno pepper
- 2 tbsp green chile pepper
- 1/3 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp oregano
- crushed cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth / stock
- 1/2 cup no added salt red kidney beans (drained)
- 6 oz chicken breast
- 1 2/3 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup Monterey jack cheese
- 10 to 15 whole grain crackers
- Mince garlic and jalapeno. Chop onion. Drain chiles and kidney beans.
- Sauté chicken breast until done through. Remove from pan and cut into cubes when cool.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil in soup pot until tender. Add Jalapeño, chiles, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and salt, and sauté another minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, beans, and chicken. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and cheese and serve.
- You can also add free veggies such as red bell pepper, if desired.
- When increasing servings use the following instead of a pinch for every 3 servings:
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon salt
- 10 Tortilla Chips or 10 whole wheat saltines can be substituted for whole grain crackers if desired.
- Wear gloves as needed when handling Jalapenos
- Equal amounts of great northern beans can be substituted for Kidney beans, if desired.
- Serving size is about 1 3/4-2 cups, if multiple servings are made.
- 1 2/3 Tbs. = 1 Tbs + 2 tsp