Creamy Broccoli Soup & Salad with Chicken
Prep Time: 90 minutes
1/8 whole medium onion
Parsley to taste
1/8 cup skim milk
Salt to taste
garlic powder to taste
1 cup arugula (rocket)
1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
2 tbsp light salad dressing
1/3 oz reduced fat feta
1 1/3 cup fresh broccoli
1/2 cup reduced sodium vegetable broth
2 tbsp fat free cream
1/2 tsp cornstarch
Crushed cayenne pepper to taste
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 medium tomato
1 1/2 chicken breast (1 breast is 4 oz)
- Thoroughly bake chicken and allow to cool then dice.
- Combine diced chicken, arugula, spinach, tomato, cucumber, feta, and dressing.
- Place chopped broccoli, onion, broth, and parsley in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover tightly and simmer for 45 minutes.
- When vegetables are close to completion, stir together half and half, milk, and cornstarch until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove vegetables from heat and uncover. Puree hot cooked mixture in blender, in batches, until smooth. Then, return to pan.
- Stir in half and half mixture, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and lemon juice. Bring up to a simmer, cover, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Taste and correct seasonings, if necessary, and serve.
*For gluten and soy free, check food labels for these ingredients as products may vary.
4 oz (115g) Broccoli = 1 1/3 cup
1/8 medium Onion = 1/8 cup
4 oz (125mL) Broth = 1/2 cup
1/2 oz Spinach = 1/2 cup
3/4 oz Arugula = 1 cup
1 fl oz (30mL) Milk = 1/8 cup
1/3 oz (10g) Feta = 1 tbsp. + 1 tsp.