Slimmed Down Spanakopita with Grilled Chicken
Our version of a healthy and savory spanakopita is sure to be an instant favorite!
- 6 oz boneless/skinless chicken breast
- 11⁄3 tbsp part skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 whole large egg
- 2⁄3 tbsp dill
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1⁄3 whole garlic clove
- 1⁄3 whole medium onion
- 22⁄3 tbsp parsley
- 31⁄3 oz chopped frozen spinach
- 12⁄3 oz firm tofu
- 22⁄3 phyllo dough
- 2⁄3 green onion/scallion
- 10 tsp reduced fat feta cheese
- Heat oven to 350°
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp of the oil. Add onions and cook for 8 -10 minutes. Add the parsley, scallions, dill and spinach (moisture squeezed out) stirring well to mix. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- When cool, mix in ricotta, tofu, feta, and eggs.
- Coat an 8”x8” baking pan with olive oil spray.
- Place a sheet of phyllo in the bottom of the pan and brush with oil. Keep adding the sheets one at a time to layer brushing lightly with oil until there are 4 sheets in the bottom of the pan. TIP: While working with phyllo, keep a damp cloth covering the dough. Work with one sheet at a time.
- Spread the spinach mixture evenly on the phyllo layer with a spatula. Cover with 4 more layers of phyllo brushed with oil.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into serving sizes.
- Serve with one grilled chicken breast on the side.