Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
Here’s a new take on one of your favorite meals from childhood. Curl up with a bowl on a chilly day.
– 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
– 1 large leek, chopped
– 2 cloves garlic, chopped
– 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
– 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
– 1 can (14 ounces) whole peeled tomatoes, with juice
– 4 cups water
– 2 cups vegetable broth
– 6 tablespoons plain Greek-style yogurt
– dash of salt
– freshly ground pepper to taste
– 2 slices whole-wheat bread
– 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
– fresh basil, shredded for garnish
– dash of kosher salt
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the leek and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and thyme and cook about 1 minute.
- Stir in all the tomatoes. Add the water and broth and simmer 30 minutes over medium heat. Using a wooden spoon or potato masher, break up the large pieces of tomato. Stir in the yogurt, salt, and pepper.
- In a small skillet, cook the bread for a minute or two per side to brown, taking care that it does not burn. Sprinkle with the cheddar and cover the pan for just a minute or two, so the cheese melts. Cut the bread in small pieces and set aside.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender. Reheat if needed. Divide the soup among the serving bowls and top with the croutons and basil.
Per serving: 148 calories, 6g fat, 18 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein
Curves Nutrition Program: Enjoy for lunch or dinner with a cooked chicken breast (5 oz.) and ½ cup wild rice on Phase 1 or 2.